Friday, March 24, 2006

Windows Explorer freezes when video files are in the folder you're viewing

I recently started having a problem where any time there was an avi file in the folder I was viewing, explorer would freeze up and have to be shutdown from task manager. Over at annoyances.org, I found a handy fix that took care of the problem right away. Here it is:

NOTE: before doing this, you should make a backup of your registry by going to start->run, typing regedt32 , then going to File > Export and saving the registry file somewhere safe.

1. Click Start
2. Click Run
3. Type: regedt32
4. Browse to the registry key (the things that look like folders on the left side of the screen) HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler.
5. Delete the Key on the right hand side called "default" by right-clicking and hitting "Delete".

That should be it. If that doesn't work, the following command might help, but it will disable all AVI thumbnail preview capability:

go to Start > Run, type: REGSVR32 /U SHMEDIA.DLL and press OK. To undo this change, simply go to Start > Run, type: REGSVR32 SHMEDIA.DLL and press OK.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I was banging my head against the wall with this one.
It seems better already and I haven't even rebooted.

Anonymous said...

Ah thank you thank you thank you. It was driving me MAD and I had no idea why it was happening... Then I googled and immediately came across your post, thanks so much.

Anonymous said...

Jim your a life savier.
I too was banging my head against the wall searching fo an answer why explore froze up.

Anonymous said...

It solves the freezing problem yes. But it also disables the explorer duration, dimensions etc. important info display. Preview works fine. Is there a way to get the dimensions shown? What about other video files like .mpg? Those have never (in my system) shown their dimensions in explorer. I´d like them to.
In the end, what causes this anyway? For me it only happened in one particular folder. Others were fine.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much, This was also driving me crazy, tried many different methods and none worked until I saw this one and now it all works perfectly. thanks a bunch :D

Anonymous said...

thank you very much ,i just unregistered the SHMEDIA.DLL and now its fine :)

wholesale nfl jerseys said...

I am very pleased to come to your blog, I learned knowledge I hope you can come to my site to see each other and exchange, leave your contact information

Anonymous said...

nike shox rivalry, nike shox rivalry

Nike Air Jordan 5, Nike Air Jordan 5

Nike Air Max TN, Nike Air Max TN

UGG Infants Erin Boots, UGG Infants Erin Boots

tn chaussures, tn chaussures

air jordan retro 1, air jordan retro 1

oem downloadable software said...

Earlier I thought differently, thanks for the help in this question.

new era hats said...

Thanks for your sharing,great information ! I am looking forward for your next post.